Prepare for a Data Science Career
Data Science lies at the intersection of statistics/quantitative analysis, business acumen/domain expertise, and programming/“hacking” skills. The bootcamp focuses on hands-on training in software engineering skills required to do data science as well as applying the necessary stats/math/analytical skills against real world problems drawn from a wide range of problem domains.
We believe that the Nashville area has an untapped supply of latent talent for data analytical work. But, that talent needs access to accelerated, focused, real-world training. We’ve designed the Data Science Bootcamp to help address this need.
- Part-time evening program that will meet two evenings a week and on Saturdays for a total of nine months.
- Hands-on training in software engineering skills required to do data science. Students will learn to apply the Python and R languages to data analytics problems.
- Application of stats/math/analytical skills against real-world problems drawn from a wide range of problem domains, including: digital marketing, supply chain, healthcare, retail and financial services.
- Hands-on experience applying data engineering skills to sourcing, cleaning, and aggregating data for data science projects. Training on major “Big Data” tools such as Hadoop, Spark, Hive, etc. as well as cloud-based data management through services such as AWS.
What You Will Learn
Python and R
Data Science Toolkit
Data Science Process
Exploratory Data Analysis
Machine Learning: Supervised Learning
- Linear Regression
- Cost Function
- Optimization techniques
- Time series
- Decision trees
- Random forests
- Ensemble techniques
- K nearest neighbors
- Neural networks
- Classification models
- Recommender systems
Machine Learning: Unsupervised Learning
- K-Means/Affinity propagation
- NLP/Text Clustering
- PCA & Dimension reduction
Managing and Curating Data
SQL, Database Management & Big Data
You’ll be introduced to Big Data and the Hadoop Ecosystem, including technologies such as: HDFS, MapReduce, Hive, Pig, Spark, etc.
ScheduleTuesday, Thursday, Saturday T/Th: 6PM - 9:30PM | S: 9AM-2PM
Location500 Interstate Blvd S, Suite 300 Nashville, TN 37210
DatesTBA - TBA
Student prerequisite knowledge/experience
At least 18 years of age
American citizen or legally able to work in the U.S.
Ideal applicants will have a Masters or PhD degree in Science, Technology, Engineering or Math or equivalent experience in quantitative science or programming. Applicants with a bachelor’s degree will also be considered.
Students will be expected to demonstrate prior training in and/or experience applying the math skills relevant to data science. In particular we will be looking for students with training in statistics/probability. This prior knowledge can be gained through college classes (as outlined above), research project experience gained as a graduate student or post-doc, and/or work experience. Applicants without such knowledge may take an NSS-approved preparatory course in statistics in order to satisfy this requirement.
Personal laptop meeting our hardware requirements. See this blog post for full details of our laptop specs.
Accepted students will be given requirements for software to be downloaded prior to the start of class. It is not expected that any such software will have a cost as the class will focus on teaching data science using open source technologies.
Thanks to DataCamp for partnering with us through their Education program to support learning in our data science bootcamp. DataCamp is an interactive learning platform for data science. Their partnership provides our Data Science students access to their content in R, Python, and SQL on importing data, data visualization, machine learning, deep learning & more.
There are two tuition plans: Standard Tuition or Nashville Tech Opportunity Tuition. A limited number of grants and scholarships are also available for students from underrepresented groups.
Standard tuition for the Data Science Bootcamp is $12,500.
We request a $5,000 deposit on acceptance of our offer of admission. The balance is due at enrollment on the first day of class. You may also elect to pay the balance during the nine months of the program through an approved payment plan, as discussed below. See below for other financing and payment options.
Nashville Tech Opportunity Tuition
The NSS Nashville Tech Opportunity Tuition allows you to defer most of the cost of your training until you graduate and go to work. You will pay us $2,000 as a tuition deposit on acceptance to the program and then nothing more until after graduation. After graduation, if you accept a position from one of our Employer Partner companies, the rest of your tuition will be reimbursed by your employer. If you are hired by an organization that is not an NSS Employer Partner, we'll work with you to either negotiate payment from your new employer and/or work out a payment plan by which you can reimburse the school.
- Initial tuition deposit of $2,000, due on acceptance of our offer of admission
- $2,500 scholarship
- $8,000 tuition balance to be repaid on employment as outlined above
The Nashville Tech Opportunity Tuition program is a mutual risk-sharing program between NSS and the Student. NSS invests in the student through a scholarship and through deferring the balance of the student's tuition until the student becomes employed using the skills & knowledge gained through NSS. Until those conditions are met, the student does not owe NSS the tuition balance.
Selection criteria for the Nashville Tech Opportunity Tuition includes:
- Limited to Nashville area residents or individuals who grew up in Nashville/Middle Tennessee and have strong family and personal connections to the area
- Limited to students that are committed to staying in Middle Tennessee post-graduation
- Priority is given to students whose economic circumstances would otherwise prevent them attending Nashville Software School
- Priority is also given to individuals from groups that are underrepresented in tech careers (e.g. females, African-Americans, etc.)
If you are paying for regular tuition out-of-pocket, there are three payment options:
- Pay the full tuition (deposit and first day of class payment) and receive a $500 discount off of tuition (scholarship and student loan recipients are not eligible for the discount for early payment).
- Pay the required deposit on offer acceptance and then 50% of the unpaid tuition balance on the first day of class. The remaining unpaid tuition will be due halfway through the course.
- Pay the required deposit on offer acceptance. Pay the remainder of the unpaid tuition balance in nine equal monthly payments on the first class day of each of the nine months of the bootcamp.
NSS is proud that we were the first coding bootcamp program in the Southeast U.S., and one of the first five in the entire country, approved to accept the GI Bill.
With the GI Bill, qualifying veterans and their dependents are eligible to get up to 100% of their tuition at NSS paid or reimbursed. NSS is able to accept the following:
- Post-9/11 GI Bill (Ch.33)
- Montgomery GI Bill (Ch.30)
- Select Reserve GI Bill (Ch.1606)
- REAP GI Bill (Ch.1607)
- Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) (Ch.31)
- Dependents Educational Assistance (DEA) (Ch.35)
To provide additional financing options and support for our students, we've partnered with Climb Credit.
directly supports your education and success by providing loans for full tuition (minus a deposit you pay directly to NSS). They specialize in providing loans for bootcamp students and only partner with the most reputable code schools across the country. Climb Credit offers fixed interest rates on 36-month terms (subject to approval).