This class will be remote (online and synchronous).
Prepare for a Software Engineering Career
Software Engineering with Java/AWS Specialization is a nine month, intensive, full-time program designed to prepare highly motivated adult learners for careers in software engineering, including jobs such as Software Engineer, Cloud Software Developer, Full-stack Software Engineer, Backend Software Developer, etc.
This program is for highly motivated adults who want to acquire the skills necessary to build complex and high performance software applications and qualify for junior software engineering jobs without a computer science degree at Amazon, other tech companies of all sizes, and enterprise IT organizations.
The nine-month, full-time program combines:
- A broad introduction to applied computer science concepts, including algorithms and data structures, object-oriented programming, concurrent programming, etc.
- Hands-on use of real-world software engineering tools and practices such as source code control using Git/GitHub, Agile development methods, testing and debugging, team-based projects, cloud computing platforms, etc.
- Practice building and deploying cloud-native backend applications using tools such as Java, Amazon’s market leading AWS cloud platform, DynamoDB, etc.
- Building career development skills so that you’re prepared not just to do the work of a Cloud Software Engineer but you’re prepared to succeed in the job search after graduation.
What You Will Learn
Cloud Programming with Amazon Web Services
Software Engineering Practices
Algorithms and Data Structures
Testing and Debugging
NoSQL Databases with DynamoDB
Relational Databases and SQL
HTTP and RESTful Services
Real World Projects
ScheduleMonday - Friday 9AM-4PM
LocationThis class is remote.
June 6, 2022 - February 24, 2023
See below for detailed information on payment options, including Opportunity Tuition, Payment Plans, and Financing.
At least 18 years of age
American citizen, permanent resident or legally able to work in the U.S.
Due to regulatory constraints, we are not yet able to accept students residing in the state of California.
High school diploma (or equivalent)
A college degree is not required for the program, but may be required by some employers to qualify for a job. (Note: A degree is not required to apply for a role at Amazon.)
Personal laptop meeting our hardware & software requirements. See this blog post for full details of our laptop specs.
Accepted students will be given requirements for software to be downloaded prior to the start of class.
Is this right for you?You do not need prior experience in programming in order to apply for this program. If you have no prior exposure to programming, we can help you. We suggest enrolling in our Software Engineering Jumpstart (more info coming soon), which will offer an instructor-led pathway through introductory material. You can also pursue basic self-study with the resources we recommend. Each pathway, self-guided or instructor-led, is designed to prepare you for the basic coding aptitude assessment required for admission. Each will also help you determine whether software engineering is the right career for you.
Beginning the Admissions ProcessOnce you’ve applied to this program, the admissions process will start with a conversation with one of our admissions counselors. The admissions counselor will assist you in understanding the rest of the admissions process and help you schedule your technical interview. They will also help you understand how to prepare for the required basic coding aptitude assessment and the short cognitive aptitude test. Once these steps are all completed, our admissions committee will review your application. The coding aptitude assessment can be prepared for using the methods described above - or, if you have some prior programming experience, you can move directly to taking the assessment. The coding assessment will measure your knowledge of basic coding concepts and terminology, how to read code, and how to write code. Our admissions process has multiple steps and is designed to make sure you are as comfortable as possible through each step of your journey. Our team is here to help you along the way.
You’re admitted. Now what?Once admitted, all students will be given the opportunity to ramp-up their Java coding skills to the base level of proficiency required to start the class. As above, those with no experience need not worry. We have a series of prerequisite courses that will help you learn what you need to learn. We also have opportunities for you to interact with and learn from instructors and peers. Successful completion of a final coding assessment will demonstrate that you are ready to start the class.
There are two tuition plans at NSS: Standard Tuition or Nashville Opportunity Tuition. Out of 25 seats in each cohort at NSS, our goal is to have at least 12 be Opportunity Students and the remainder paying standard tuition. Grants and scholarships are also available for students from underrepresented groups or who are economically disadvantaged, financially fragile, or underemployed.
Tuition for the full-time Software Engineering program is $18,000.
We request a $5,000 deposit on acceptance of our offer of admission. The balance is due at enrollment on the first day of class. You may also elect to pay the balance during the nine months of the program through an approved payment plan, as discussed below. See below for other financing and payment options.
Nashville Opportunity Tuition
Our Nashville Opportunity Tuition allows you to defer most of the cost of your training until you graduate and go to work as a software developer. You will pay us $1,500 as a tuition deposit on acceptance to the program and then nothing more until after graduation.
This program is a mutual risk-sharing program between NSS and the Student. NSS invests in the student through a scholarship and through deferring the balance of the student's tuition until the student a) graduates and b) becomes employed as a developer. Until those conditions are met, the student does not owe NSS the tuition balance.
Once you go to work using the skills you learned at NSS, we'll work out a payment plan for you to reimburse NSS. Some employers are willing to reimburse part or all of your tuition.
- Initial tuition deposit of $1,500, due on acceptance of our offer of admission
- $4,000 scholarship
- $12,500 tuition balance to be repaid on employment as outlined above
Selection criteria for the Nashville Opportunity Tuition includes:
- Limited to Nashville area residents or individuals who grew up in Nashville/Middle Tennessee and have strong family and personal connections to the area
- Priority is given to students that are committed to residing in Middle Tennessee post-graduation
- Priority is given to students whose economic circumstances would otherwise prevent them attending Nashville Software School
- Priority is also given to individuals from groups that are underrepresented in tech careers (e.g. women, Veterans, Black individuals, etc.)
If you are paying for regular tuition out-of-pocket, there are two payment options:
- Early Bird Discount: Pay the full tuition before the first day of class and receive a $2000 discount, reducing your tuition to $16,000. (Scholarship and student loan recipients are not eligible for the discount for early payment.)
- Split the cost into 4 payments. Pay the $5000 deposit on offer acceptance and then $5000 on the first day of class. $4000 will be due at the beginning of months 4 and 8. This is a zero percent interest plan. Your total tuition remains $18,000.
To provide additional financing options and support for our students, we've partnered with Climb Credit who specializes in loans for career-advancing education and only partners with the most reputable code schools in the country.
It's free to apply!
Climb Credit provides simple, fast, and affordable loans with fixed interest rates to help you meet your career and financial goals (subject to approval). To learn more and apply, click here.
Details for Software Engineering:
- Deposit due to NSS: $1,500
- Maximum amount you can borrow for the program: $16,500
- Maximum amount you can borrow for cost-of-living expenses: $9,000
- Length of Loan: 60 or 72 months
Upcoming Info Sessions
Start Your Application