Will this bootcamp be in-person or online? The truth is, we don’t know yet. However, we will be ready to hold this class in-person or online as needed to protect the health and safety of our students and staff. You can find more information on our response to COVID-19 and our plans at nashss.com/covid-19. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us here or via email.
Prepare for a Data Science Career
Data Science lies at the intersection of statistics/quantitative analysis, business acumen/domain expertise, and programming/“hacking” skills. The bootcamp focuses on hands-on training in software engineering skills required to do data science as well as applying the necessary stats/math/analytical skills against real world problems drawn from a wide range of problem domains.
We believe that the Nashville area has an untapped supply of latent talent for data analytical work. But, that talent needs access to accelerated, focused, real-world training. We’ve designed the Data Science Bootcamp to help address this need.
- Part-time evening program that will meet two evenings a week and on Saturdays for a total of nine months.
- Hands-on training in software engineering skills required to do data science. Students will learn to apply the Python and R languages to data analytics problems.
- Application of stats/math/analytical skills against real-world problems drawn from a wide range of problem domains, including: digital marketing, supply chain, healthcare, retail and financial services.
- Hands-on experience applying data engineering skills to sourcing, cleaning, and aggregating data for data science projects. Training on major “Big Data” tools such as Hadoop and Spark, as well as cloud-based data management through services such as AWS.
What You Will Learn
Python and R
Data Science Toolkit
Data Science Process
Managing and Curating Data
Exploratory Data Analysis
SQL, Data Management & Big Data
You’ll be introduced to techniques for working with Big Data in a cloud environment.
Machine Learning: Supervised Learning
- Cost Function
- Optimization techniques
- Linear and logistic regression
- Decision trees
- Classification models
- Recommender systems
Machine Learning: Unsupervised Learning
- Clustering methods, including K-Means and Affinity Propagation
- PCA & Dimension Reduction
- Anomaly Detection
Natural Language Processing
- Topic identification
- Named Entity Recognition
- Text classification
Data Visualization and Communication
Your capstone project will be an individual effort that demonstrates your ability to take a data science project through the entire data science process. This project will demonstrate to potential employers your ability to apply the skills learned in this class to a real-world problem and present your findings.
ScheduleTuesday, Thursday, Saturday T/Th: 6PM - 9:30PM | S: 9AM-2PM
Location301 Plus Park Blvd., Suite 300 Nashville, TN 37217
DatesSeptember 8, 2020 - June 10, 2021
See below for detailed information on payment options, including Opportunity Tuition, GI Bill®, Payment Plans, and Financing.
Student prerequisite knowledge/experience
At least 18 years of age
American citizen or legally able to work in the U.S.
Ideal applicants will have experience in quantitative science or programming. Students will be expected to demonstrate prior training in and/or experience applying the math skills relevant to data science. In particular we will be looking for students with training in statistics/probability. This prior knowledge can be gained through classes, research project experience, work experience, and/or our Statistics for Data Science course.
Personal laptop meeting our hardware requirements. See this blog post for full details of our laptop specs.
Accepted students will be given requirements for software to be downloaded prior to the start of class. It is not expected that any such software will have a cost as the class will focus on teaching data science using open source technologies.
Thanks to DataCamp for partnering with us through their Education program to support learning in our data science bootcamp. DataCamp is an interactive learning platform for data science. Their partnership provides our Data Science students access to their content in R, Python, and SQL on importing data, data visualization, machine learning, deep learning & more.
There are two tuition plans: Standard Tuition or Nashville Tech Opportunity Tuition. A limited number of grants and scholarships are also available for students from underrepresented groups.
Standard tuition for the Data Science Bootcamp is $12,500.
We request a $5,000 deposit on acceptance of our offer of admission. The balance is due at enrollment on the first day of class. You may also elect to pay the balance during the nine months of the program through an approved payment plan, as discussed below. See below for other financing and payment options.
Nashville Tech Opportunity Tuition
The NSS Nashville Tech Opportunity Tuition allows you to defer most of the cost of your training until you graduate and go to work. You will pay us $2,000 as a tuition deposit on acceptance to the program and then nothing more until after graduation.
This program is a mutual risk-sharing program between NSS and the Student. NSS invests in the student through a scholarship and through deferring the balance of the student's tuition until the student a) graduates and b) becomes employed as a developer. Until those conditions are met, the student does not owe NSS the tuition balance.
Once you go to work using the skills you learned at NSS, we'll work out a payment plan for you to reimburse NSS. We also have a limited number of partner companies that are willing to reimburse part or all of your tuition.
- Initial tuition deposit of $2,000, due on acceptance of our offer of admission
- $2,500 scholarship
- $8,000 tuition balance to be repaid on employment as outlined above
Selection criteria for the Nashville Tech Opportunity Tuition includes:
- Limited to Nashville area residents or individuals who grew up in Nashville/Middle Tennessee and have strong family and personal connections to the area
- Limited to students that are committed to staying in Middle Tennessee post-graduation
- Priority is given to students whose economic circumstances would otherwise prevent them attending Nashville Software School
- Priority is also given to individuals from groups that are underrepresented in tech careers (e.g. females, African-Americans, etc.)
We have available a limited number of scholarships between $2,000 and $5,000 for high potential students with economically disadvantaged backgrounds or from groups that are underrepresented in technology careers.
If you are paying for regular tuition out-of-pocket, there are three payment options:
- Pay the full tuition before the first day of class and receive a $500 discount. (Scholarship and student loan recipients are not eligible for the discount for early payment.)
- Pay the required deposit on offer acceptance and then 50% of the unpaid tuition balance on the first day of class. The remaining unpaid tuition will be due halfway through the course.
- Pay the required deposit on offer acceptance. Pay the remainder of the unpaid tuition balance in nine equal monthly payments on the first class day of each of the nine months of the bootcamp.
NSS is proud that we were the first coding bootcamp program in the Southeast U.S., and one of the first five in the entire country, approved to accept the GI Bill®.
With the GI Bill®, qualifying veterans and their dependents are eligible to get up to 100% of their tuition at NSS paid or reimbursed. NSS is able to accept the following:
- Post-9/11 GI Bill® (Ch.33)
- Montgomery GI Bill® (Ch.30)
- Select Reserve GI Bill® (Ch.1606)
- REAP GI Bill® (Ch.1607)
- Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) (Ch.31)
- Dependents Educational Assistance (DEA) (Ch.35)
To provide additional financing options and support for our students, we've partnered with Skills Fund and Climb Credit who both specialize in loans for bootcamp students and only partner with the most reputable code schools in the country.
- Deposit due to NSS: $2,500
- Maximum amount you can borrow: $10,000
We encourage you to consider both options and choose the one right for you. Both are free to apply!
Skills Fund offers a simple, transparent financing solution that allows you to focus on what matters: gaining skills and getting hired. Skills Fund provides loans for your full tuition (minus a deposit you pay directly to NSS) and allows you to make low, interest-only payments while enrolled plus two months after (full-time students only), or get ahead of your loan by starting full repayments 30 days in to the program. Skills Fund offers fixed interest rates on 36-month terms (subject to approval). To learn more and apply, click here.
Climb Credit directly supports your education and success by providing loans for full tuition (minus a deposit you pay directly to NSS). Climb provides simple, fast, and affordable loans to help you meet your career and financial goals. Climb Credit offers fixed interest rates on 36-month terms (subject to approval). To learn more and apply, click here.